My almost 2-year-old has gone from a fairly good eater, to a really picky eater, and this made me start to get pretty creative.
I don’t want to constantly be cramming veggies down his throat, and make him hate meal times. But I also worry that he’s not getting the nutrients his little growing body needs.
The kid has a love of sweets. Put a cookie or brownie in his hand, and he devours it like a little pig. So, this got my wheels turning. How could I create a healthier chocolate brownie that the Peanut would like, that had tons of healthy stuff hidden inside?
So, I came up with this recipe for Chocolate Black Bean Veggie Brownies, perfect for picky toddlers! As an added bonus, my teenager likes them, too. 🙂
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- I can black beans, rinsed, drained, and puréed in food processor
- 2 very ripe bananas, puréed in food processor
- 1 cup zucchini, puréed in food processor and drained of any excess liquid
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the wet ingredients.
- Slowly add sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Slowly add all dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or top with cream cheese frosting.