This is a dish my mother-in-law has been making forever, and it’s one of my husband and my son’s favorite comfort foods.
I love this, because you can make it anyway you want…throw in extra veggies if you have them leftover. You could even use chicken instead of tuna!
Here’s my spin on the classic. 🙂
- 1 bag egg noodles, cooked according to directions
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cans tuna in water
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 TBS butter
- 1 cup boxed cheese (like Velveeta, but I buy the Aldi brand) diced into cubes
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp black pepper
- In a skillet, add butter, onion, garlic, and celery.
- Saute on low just until slightly softened.
- Reduce heat, and stir in milk and cheese.
- Stir constantly until cheese melts.
- Keep stirring, and add mushroom soup & tuna.
- Stir until melted and very well mixed.
- Spray 9x13 baking pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Add egg noodles.
- Pour cheese mixture over noodles. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Stir well.
- Should be moist, so add more milk if it’s not.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- I like to sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley flakes.