As you know, I’m a busy mom to 3 lovely boys. What you may not know is that I actually have FIVE boys, counting our canine companions. Just like I enjoy making healthy and budget-friendly meals for all of us on two legs, I also make homemade, healthy (and inexpensive) food for our dogs. While our Brittany Spaniel-Lab mix, Tinsley, has an iron stomach and can eat just about anything, our older Shih-Tzu, Louie, is a very finicky eater with lots of tummy trouble.
We’ve noticed a drastic improvement in Louie’s health since we began making his dog food. Not only is he happier, but he’s no longer refusing meals, he’s more regular, has better potty control, and he never throws up from his food anymore like he used to when he ate store-bought dog food.
Did you know many herbs and spices have health benefits for dogs? I used to make a very bland recipe for him, but now I always include dog-safe, dog-friendly herbs and spices in his meals. He loves it!
Here’s my Healthy Dog Food Recipe that I make for my own pups, Louie & Tinsley!
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground beef
- 2/3 cup of rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas or green beans (fresh/frozen is best, but if you use canned be sure to drain and rinse several times to remove sodium)
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried basil (I use mine fresh from the garden)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic or garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon organic coconut oil
- Add all ingredients to pot on stove.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until meat and rice are thoroughly cooked.
- Stir well and break up any large chunks.
- Cool completely before serving.
- Can also be cooked in crockpot 4-6 hours on low.
***Please note that while most experts agree that garlic has great health benefits for dogs in SMALL amounts, such as natural flea and tick repellant and antiviral properties, it can be toxic in larger quantities. Be very careful when using garlic with dogs! And when in doubt, omit it. 🙂 Thanks, Amy, for this tip! 😉