We all know that the spooks and spirits come out on October 31st, but did you know there’s an equally creepy and cool holiday that follows immediately after Halloween?
Â¡SÃ! Dia de Los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is celebrated on November 1-2 of each year. Traditionally, celebrations include food, drinks and gifts to honor family and friends who have passed.
The holiday originated more than 3,000 years ago in Mexico. Like Halloween, it is full of fun and festivity, with a spooky spin.
Milagro Tequila is helping you celebrate this year with some creepy cocktails to get you in a morbidly merry mood! And I’m going to share with you a few makeup tips to fit right in with the dead and undead!
Blood Orange Margarita
1 Â½ parts Milagro Silver Tequila
1 part Fresh Lime Juice
Â¾ part agave nectar
Â¾ part Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur
Pour all ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled halfway with ice. Shake and strain over fresh ice in a salt-rimmed rocks glass. Garnish with orange and lime wheels.
2 parts Milagro Silver Tequila
1 part fresh ruby red grapefruit juice
Â¾ part agave nectar
Â½ part fresh lime juice
1 capsule activated charcoal
Top with 3 parts club soda
Garnish with grapefruit peel; charcoal & kosher salt rim
People celebrate Day of the Dead by leaving candy sugar skulls on an altar as an offering to those who have passed on. Painting their faces to match these ornate candy skulls is also a key element in the celebration. This eerily beautiful Dia de Los Muertos makeup has recently become one of the most popular Halloween costumes.
Here’s how to do your own DIY Day of the Dead makeup!
1. Start with a clean, dry face.
2. Cover face with white theatrical makeup.
3. Draw circles around eyes and fill in thoroughly with black makeup.
4. Using a thin brush, adorn outside of eyes with dainty floral circles.
5. Fill in nose using black, creating the appearance of a hollow hole.
6. Line lips in black, embellishing with short vertical strokes around entire mouth.
7. Add additional floral embellishments to forehead and cheeks.
Please visit the Milagro Tequila website for more fun recipes and great information.