Over the past year, I’ve had a lot of hairstyles. Long blonde locks, a straight brunette ‘do, highlights, low lights, a LOB, a wedge, and most recently …the shortest of them all, A PIXIE!
Cutting my hair was a decision I made after an entire year of contemplation, and it’s not something I did on a whim. I waited until I was truly ready, had weighed all the pros and cons, consulted with my stylist, and knew what I was really getting myself into.
Here are 6 reasons why I took the plunge, and went for a cute crop.
1. Because I’ve been thinking about it for years, but couldn’t get brave. I finally decided, “WHY NOT? The timing was perfect. I stay home with kids, so if I hated it, I had plenty of time to grow it out without many people seeing me looking too terrible. But I knew I wouldn’t hate it. 🙂
2. Because I didn’t want anything holding me back and getting in my way. Chopping my locks was the ultimate freedom. Between kids, hobbies, and all my home-based businesses (my blogs, my upcylce business, my Zazzle store, and more) I am seriously BUSY, and could no longer afford the time to spend on my hair. It got in my way, both literally and figuratively. Cutting it has given me more time to spend on the things that are important to me.
3. Because my husband loves short hair. Not that everything I do is his way, or merely to please him! I definitely have a mind of my own, but I’m lucky that my husband doesn’t love long hair, and I didn’t have to face the possibility of him not liking it afterwards. I knew he’d like my hair either way, long or short, so it made me feel more comfortable with my decision.
4. Because short hair is cute, and can be really sexy! I feel like short hair comes with a sophisticated, trendy look, and LOADS of confidence. I was inspired by the chic short styles of the classic Halle Berry, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, and Ginnifer Goodwin.
5. Because my medium length brown hair wasn’t doing anything for me. It didn’t look good, it wasn’t making a statement, it didn’t say anything about me at all. If it’s just “blah,” why keep it? Go big or go home!
And, because 5 reasons just isn’t enough…
6. Because I’m not 18 anymore. Or even 25. Or even 30. I am almost 40, and I’m comfortable in my own skin. I don’t need to hold myself up to anyone else’s standards of beauty, or to compare my short ‘do to anyone’s long flowing locks. I chopped my hair because it’s what worked for the life I live now, and it’s something I wanted to do, and I finally had the guts to just do it. I’m so happy with the results, and I’ve never looked back! 🙂
Check out my before and after! 🙂