Whether you’re celebrating Thanksgiving with your family this year, or “Friendsgiving” with your besties, your guests will jump for joy when they see cranberries at the holiday table!
…and, with thanksgiving being a very meat-hearty meal (gobble, gobble), your vegan friends will be EXTRA thankful for YOU when you put this sweet and savory Vegan Cranberry-Apple Mushroom Stuffing dish on the table! Packed with antioxidant-rich cranberries and other veggies, it’s a healthier, meatless version of the classic hearty stuffing we all know and love. Perfect for those who choose to go meatless, and also a perfect compliment to the tender turkey (or Tofurkey) that you’ll be serving.Â This dish can easily be tweaked if you prefer to go the carnivore route, by using butter instead of oil, and switching out one pound of browned, ground sausage for the mushrooms.
I love cranberries at the holidays because of their versatility. They’re the perfect addition to festive cocktails, savory dishes, desserts, and they even make a beautiful table centerpiece.
VEGAN CRANBERRY APPLE MUSHROOM STUFFING
- 12 cups unseasoned dry bread crumb cubes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 bag dried cranberries, or âCraisinsâ
- 1 cup apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 package fresh mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Â½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Â½ teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, add bag of dried cranberries and three cups water. Bring to a low boil, then turn off heat. Set aside and allow cranberries to rehydrate. Drain well after 20 minutes of soaking.
- Heat oil on medium in a large skillet, add celery and onion. Cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and mushrooms. Cook another 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with all seasonings and stir well.
- Add apples and drained cranberries. Stir. Cook 2 more minutes.
- Add bread crumbs to a very large mixing bowl.
- Pour contents of skillet over bread crumbs, stirring well.
- Slowly pour vegetable broth over bread crumb mixture, one cup at a time, stirring gently until all bread is coated.
- Add contents of bowl to lightly greased baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden brown on top, about 20 minutes more.
- Serve hot.